Friday, October 2, 2009

Our Tractor

.
Earlier this year, while looking into the possibility of getting a mule for the farm, I was advised by Jim to look into purchasing a tractor instead. He said that if money was going to be tight, and I had to choose one machine over another, the tractor would be the one to go with.

I didn't know anything about tractors, so I did a lot of research, looked at used and new ones online, compared prices and financing options. I narrowed down my choice to a Kubota MX5100DT -- a 50hp, 4WD beast. In late June, I found out "by accident" about a zero-down, zero-percent-interest, 60-month financing promo that Kubota was running -- for only two weeks.

So, we jumped on the opportunity -- we bought a tractor without inspecting, test-driving, or even seeing a picture of it. It was all based on my "gut sense" that the man I was dealing with on the phone was a "straight shooter". And we were not disappointed that we dealt with John Ballard at Ballard's Tractor in Alba, TX.

Here, finally, is our tractor, delivered today, October 2, 2009, by my new friend, Don, who you see in the next couple of pictures unloading it from his trailer. Don also taught me how to drive it and use the front-end loader and hay spear.

The flat thing with a tailwheel that you see below, hooked to the back of the tractor, is a Rhino 172 "shredder" -- that's just an East Texas term for a huge lawnmower.

.
The bucket that you see attached to the front-end loader is removable, and can be exchanged easily with a hay spear, to move those monster hay bales that you see in the photos.
.
.
I will take my time and get lots of practice -- slowly, gradually, daily.
.
However, first things first: I'm going to polish and wax this baby since this is the only time she'll look this new and pretty!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment